Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Kiddie Coaster.

Having been out of school for just over a year now, I can tell you...it only gets better.

Starting into the creative industry, specifically interior design, in such a tough market and competitive field made for no easy feat. When I realized I was going to be taking a unique path into freelance work, I ran with the opportunity...and I haven't stopped runnin yet.

Starting small, of course, I have started in on projects here and there. Set design and painting, commissioned artwork, commercial Christmas decorations, wedding styling, and interior projects. Whatever I can get my hands on. As I've settled into a part time job with Calico Corners, learning the ropes of custom furnishings, window treatments, and fabrics, I found myself wondering if there was more I should be doing. With ambitious goals in mind, I needed affirmation that starting small, developing a portfolio, and getting whatever experience I could was just what I needed to do to jump-start my career...

After reading some encouraging words in a post on HGTV's blog...I encourage you to read it here...I realized I'm right where I am meant to be right now and doing exactly what I need to be doing...right now. There's a fun little rollercoaster in most career fields that you sort of have to bust into in order to ride. Any hiring companies out there seek experience...you can't get the experience until you've had a job...which loops you right back to not being able to find a job until you get that experience...are you wanting to hurl your corndog yet? Right.

Well a year later, I'm here to tell you there's hope. There may be other coasters in
the park that you've got to ride before you can graduate to the Titan or the Superman...or in my case, the Scooby ride, because, to be honest, I'm terrified of roller coasters...but I digress....there's HOPE. There may be something about summer but one referral from a friend has led to another and to another. One successful painting has led to another and another. And as I type this, gates have flown open for me and opportunities to ride my own coasters have come at me left and right.

This isn't meant to be boastful, nor is it meant to depress those with no work...but it IS meant to encourage you to be confident in your abilities, create your own opportunities, and ride some kiddie rides until you bust into those big kid coasters.

"The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them...they MAKE them." -George Bernard Shaw

I wrote about being encouraged and uplifted by these great words back in October and I still keep them at the back of my mind on a day to day basis. It's only gotten better since then, not always easier, but definitely better and I wouldn't trade what I've learned for any kind of routine job. I've got my own roller coasters to ride first. Someday I'll make it to the Titan but for now? I'm havin the time of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, this made me so happy!! I'm still waiting in line for a kiddie ride. :) Applying for jobs is a full-time job and though I've had a few leads/interviews, I feel like people are cutting me in line (metaphorically speaking) and I'm still waiting. Waiting for my turn. Thanks for your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete