Friday, February 11, 2011

Whoda Thunk.

I just spent the last 5 weeks in Waco, Texas workin hard for the money (soo hard for the money-couldn't resist) but I have finally returned! Which role was I playing this time in my creative ventures? That of a backdrop artist!

In the past 6 months I have worked with several Greek organizations at my own Alma Mater, Baylor University to help them succeed in a large production, called All-University Sing! The largest off-broadway production of its kind, in a nut shell, each competing group puts together a 7 minute act with choreography, costumes, singing, backdrop and props, the whole works! To see more about this competition, I encourage you to check it out here!

While the work I have done with this year's groups is still secret until performances start in a week, I thought I'd share what I did last year that earned me this awesome employment opportunity. I was a chair myself for my own Sing act, "A News Sensation". In charge of the props and backdrop, I was clearly challenged when we decided to include both the regular newspaper and the funny section, meaning TWO backdrops for me to paint.

Here are the 11x17" designs to the 26x58' final products:



I'll be excited to share what I painted this year in the next couple weeks as some of the designs even put my interior design skills to use. Hmm. Whoda thunk. Usin my degree...

So yes. My being MIA was for the sake of employment, new experiences and for sure freezin my hiney off in warehouses day in and day out to continue to be a part of something that was so important to me in my time at school. Just goes to show...it really is who you know!

Now. Onto the next big thing....as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment